Japanese Green Tea Benefits
Japanese green tea, similar to other tea, is made from the plant Camellia Sinensis. Tea leaves are steamed immediately after harvest to stop the oxidation process. Japanese green tea started when Japanese monk brought tea leaves from China back to Japan. Today, green tea has already became daily beverage for most of Japanese.
Other than its refreshing flavour and aroma, green tea has ton of health benefits. We will list down some of the great health benefits below:
National Cancer Institute stated that the predominat polyphenols found in green tea may protect cell from DNA damage caused by reactive oxygen elements.
Laboratory and animal studies show that polyphenols in green tea help to prevent growth of tumor and angiogenesis. Studies also show that green tea consumption has postivite impact on colon, breast, ovary, prostate and lung cancer.
Study in JAMA conclude that green tea consumption is associated with reduced mortality due to cardiovascular disease. Study conducted on 40000 participants for 11 years. Results show that those who drank 5 cups or more green tea per day had a significantly lower risk of dying from heart disease.
Catechins found in green tea believed to be the main element which help in reducing cardiovascular disease.
Study from Dr Olivia J. Phung, of the College of Pharmacy at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California, and colleagues, find that consumtion of green tea, either as beverage or capsule, led to significant reduction in total and LDL (bad cholesterol), and maintaining the HDL (good cholesterol) level.
A study at Japan's National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center conducted by Yoshihiro Kokubo found that those who consumed green tea regularly were 30 percent less likely to experience certain type of stroke. Research were conducted on 83000 Japanese adults aged 45 - 74 years for 13 years. Although researchers are not completely certain what element led to lower stroke risk, they believe it could be the catechins which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
Green tea contains caffeine. Caffeine boost our body metabolism and lead to higher calories burning rate. Green tea extract is used in body building program to help fat loss.
Lower Diabetes Risk
Study shows that the antioxidant activities from powdered green tea protects againts hepatic and renal damage through the suppression of renal AGE accumulation, by decreases in hepatic glucose, triglyceride, and total cholesterol levels.
Skin Disease Treatment
Overproduction of skin cells may lead to dry, red and flaky skin. Green tea may slow down the growth of skin cells and regulates the cell's life cycle.
Green tea contains a better and healthier form of caffeine known as theophylline. It release energy slowly for 6-8 hours. Body builders often take green tea extract before training to boost their energy.
Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease and Improve Memory
Alzheimer's disease is caused by the damage of our brain cells, which partially caused by the buildup of toxic protein called amyloid beta. Green tea prevent the formation of amyloid beta, even breaking down the existing plagues. Besides, green tea also promotes the production of new neurons in our brain which responsible for long-term and short-term memory.
- Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of tea flavanols after consumption of green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement. [PubMed]
- Green tea and its polyphenolic catechins: medicinal uses in cancer and noncancer applications. [PubMed]
- Catechin and caffeine content of green tea dietary supplements and correlation with antioxidant capacity. [PubMed]
- Mechanisms of cancer prevention by tea constituents. [PubMed]
- Green Tea Consumption and Mortality Due to Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, and All Causes in Japan. [JAMA]
- The Impact of Green Tea and Coffee Consumption on the Reduced Risk of Stroke Incidence in Japanese Population [AHA]
- Matcha, a powdered green tea, ameliorates the progression of renal and hepatic damage in type 2 diabetic OLETF rats. [PubMed]
- How Green Tea Protects Against Alzheimer’s Disease. [LifeExtension]